Bamboo shoot hunters continue to enter forest despite bear attack danger

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
KAZUNO, Akita -- People looking for wild bamboo shoots were still entering a forest here where four people have died in a series of apparent bear attacks, while police continue to warn hikers to stay away from woodland areas.

Shortly after 5 a.m. on June 11, a day after a female Asian black bear was shot dead in a mountain forest in the Towada-Oyu district in the Akita Prefecture city of Kazuno, an elderly couple from Towada, Aomori Prefecture, visited the Tashirotai district -- about 500 meters southeast of the spot where a 74-year-old woman was found dead the day before. The couple said they have been coming to this area for bamboo shoots for some five years.

"I've never encountered a bear before. It's scary, but if I saw one, I'd fight it," the 80-year-old husband said, laughing. His 75-year-old wife added, "I think I'd be petrified." The couple then proceeded to walk into a privately owned forest, despite a plainly visible "Do not enter" sign.

Meanwhile, at around 7 a.m. another couple from Noshiro, Akita Prefecture, entered a wooded area to collect bamboo shoots in Kazuno's Kumatoritai district, where two men were found dead on May 21 and 22.

"There may be a bear, but I want to enjoy seasonal food," the 70-year-old husband said as he set off a firecracker to keep any bears away. At the same time, a police car drove by, calling for people to stay away from the bushes.

A 54-year-old cab driver said, "I don't think I want to risk my life to get bamboo shoots."

The Kazuno Municipal Government has set bear traps around the area as there may be bears roaming in the forest.