What do JAV titles mean?

jliver69

Feb 5, 2024
I've just come across for example BBAN, and it's lesbian action. Was wondering if there's a site/thread that briefly explains what the titles in JAV mean

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Same as any other title, the maker/distributor of the video decides on a title they think describes the content and will attract people to buy it.

Bibian movies are always lesbian ones and that one has action in it I guess.

JAV does tend to have ridiculously long titles but not always as you saw with that one Bibian title.

If you mean explain some of the cultural terms often used in them, I'm not sure if there's some place explaining those.

jliver69

Feb 5, 2024
Same as any other title, the maker/distributor of the video decides on a title they think describes the content and will attract people to buy it.

Bibian movies are always lesbian ones and that one has action in it I guess.

JAV does tend to have ridiculously long titles but not always as you saw with that one Bibian title.

If you mean explain some of the cultural terms often used in them, I'm not sure if there's some place explaining those.
Thing is I've picked on a few headings that usually mean a specific genre, but I didn't know how the terminology of it all works (yeah you're right, it's a pain to remember all the long titles). I guess I thought there are fixed genres which vary in a sub-genre (for e.g. rom-com, buddy-comedy in movies, etc)

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Yeah, there are some terms associated with specific genres, but it's not always in the titles and most of them are pretty self explanatory.

There's a few that are culturally specific which is what I'm assuming you've ran into and wondered about. Stuff like NTR(short for Netorare) for example is the Japan equivalent to the US cuckolding or more generally called infidelity.

Reactions: Taako

jliver69

Feb 5, 2024
Yeah, there are some terms associated with specific genres, but it's not always in the titles and most of them are pretty self explanatory.

There's a few that are culturally specific which is what I'm assuming you've ran into and wondered about. Stuff like NTR(short for Netorare) for example is the Japan equivalent to the US cuckolding or more generally called infidelity.
Ah I didn't know that. To be honest it might be a cultural translation thing coupled with the overall brain fuck of keeping track of titles lol. Thanks for your reply

jliver69

Feb 5, 2024

Dig the pfp btw. Title?

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Reactions: jliver69

intrepid8

レズぺニバン Enthusiast
Oct 10, 2009
I think we're discussing ID codes moreso than titles here. Many are based on production house and studio names, some might be more genre specific, others might just be simply available and unused elsewhere.

By way of the example, BBAN comes from Bibian as mentioned above - based on an odd transliteration of Vivian I assume (and probably should even be Vivienne!) Note that Bibian's compilations run separately under the BBSS code.

Other examples in the lesbian realm:

ARM, ARMD for Aroma Planning
CEMD, CESD, CETD for Celebrity Friends
NHDT, NHDTA, NHDTB for Natural High

Usually the big producers will run up to 1000 titles on a code and then move on to a replacement.

Sometimes production houses will run several simultaneously based on niche sub-genres, often using different studio labels. Mousouzoku is a good example, eg. EVIS on Ebisu-san (body part fetishism), SORA on Yama to Sora (dominance play) etc.

Reactions: Godhand13