Discussion about DMM website

TheSpruceMoose

May 12, 2024
Wow, they're even restricting user accounts now? Lately I noted that DMM has been blocking a lot of VPN users who try to bypass geo-blocking, which has killed the ability to stream titles. Has anyone else been blocked?

So far I've been able to backup my titles by using the Patreon version of Jav-It, in conjunction with the local *.DCV file decrypt feature. Seems like they don't really interfere with downloading, so it's a lot easier to just download the encrypted title and decode it locally.

Edit: Some VPNs I've heard being reported as being blocked were Nord VPN, and Express VPN. Some smaller VPNS seem to kinda work, but it seems like all the big players are being geo-banned, even if you set your endpoint to Japan.

Reactions: javr

chosun

Oct 23, 2008
Lately, streaming speeds have been ass on DMM for me, anyone else have this particular problem? Just checked with speedtest and my bandwidth is 400 Mbps for DLs. I wonder if they are throttling non-JP IPs.

EDIT: As of today, it seems that non-JP IPs cannot even view the digital video section. Yup, it appears that the geo-block is in full effect.

Last edited:

dheophe

Apr 21, 2008
Wow, they're even restricting user accounts now? Lately I noted that DMM has been blocking a lot of VPN users who try to bypass geo-blocking, which has killed the ability to stream titles. Has anyone else been blocked?

So far I've been able to backup my titles by using the Patreon version of Jav-It, in conjunction with the local *.DCV file decrypt feature. Seems like they don't really interfere with downloading, so it's a lot easier to just download the encrypted title and decode it locally.

Edit: Some VPNs I've heard being reported as being blocked were Nord VPN, and Express VPN. Some smaller VPNS seem to kinda work, but it seems like all the big players are being geo-banned, even if you set your endpoint to Japan.
Mine too, starting today. I plan to use Surfshark VPN. Hope it works.

Last edited:

dheophe

Apr 21, 2008
Anyone has tried suika VPN? Based on below tweet it was work.
GA4HolTbIAACdT6

blind51de

Jun 24, 2010
Months ago they stopped letting foreign IPs click anything on the AV pages, but I had no idea they'd even restrict access to the app as well. This is totally fucked. I PAID FOR THESE MOVIES.
Any information on success regaining access to the app with minimal cost would be greatly appreciated.

dheophe

Apr 21, 2008
I don't understand why they done it. Other distribution like mgstage have no similar restriction.

AceRothstein

Jul 13, 2019
Months ago they stopped letting foreign IPs click anything on the AV pages, but I had no idea they'd even restrict access to the app as well. This is totally fucked. I PAID FOR THESE MOVIES.
Any information on success regaining access to the app with minimal cost would be greatly appreciated.

Based on recent interaction with their site, they seem to be experimenting with different traffic policies or something. A week ago I was shut out, but inexplicably everything back to normal, give it another try, maybe will work for you too.

bongorider

Nov 11, 2010
I'm in DMM at thhe moment using nord, its working for me.

Can anyone answer a simple question for me? If I'm buying older Jav titles, how can I see what the resolution I'm buying is? Like I have a 1.gb mkv torrent of a title from 10 years ago its format is 800x450.

If I buy from dmm is it going to be any better than that? i can't find quality info on the dmm page.

dj-pajacex

Feb 11, 2022
I'm in DMM at thhe moment using nord, its working for me.

Can anyone answer a simple question for me? If I'm buying older Jav titles, how can I see what the resolution I'm buying is? Like I have a 1.gb mkv torrent of a title from 10 years ago its format is 800x450.

If I buy from dmm is it going to be any better than that? i can't find quality info on the dmm page.

This depends from where 1GB mkv came. Quality of the video is not directly related to file size, please remember that (however it is often the case that bigger file will be of better quality BUT not always as described below). First of all there are different video codecs that video can be encoded in. Video encoded in H265 with the same visual quality of the same video encoded in H264 will generally have smaller size. H265 codec on the other hand, needs more processing power to encode and also to decode than H264. The same encoder has also finer settings, it is better to encode video slowly (you can refer to x264 encoder details to read why it matters).

I suspect that all videos that are shared online, ultimately come from either DVDs or purchased DMM videos. Now the best thing to do is to remove DRM leaving codec the same. Remember that, even if you obtained video from DVD and it is encoded in the old H262 (like DVD-Video spec requires), re-encoding it to even H265 will only make quality WORSE, never ever better (you might get smaller file size though at the cost of decreased quality). Same applies to DMM videos which are now encoded in H264 (old wmv format used different codec), if somebody is unfamiliar with codecs it is possible that he re-encoded DMM video instead of decrypting and remuxing which is lossless process (or rather 'no further loss' process, as DMM videos are encoded themselves using lossy H264). The best quality you can obtain is to buy DMM videos yourself and remove DRM (if you need help with that, you can ask me), or ensure that video that you download was obtained from DMM and not re-encoded but just remuxed, however for this you will need to ask guy that shared the video, if he remuxed only or not.

Reactions: javr

nurg1

Jul 12, 2024
Question for non-japanese DMM users. I used a VPN to create a DMM account, successfully bought points using paypal, and bought a film. It worked, it's there on my account but when I try to download it gives me a 404 error. Am I being blocked because of the VPN? Is there any trick I can use to actually download the film that I paid for? Why would they let me use site, buy a product and then only block the download/viewing?

damper

Aug 2, 2021
Can someone explain in plain why this absurd region lock is being forced?